Wednesday 28 August 2013

Stila Sheer Color Tinted Moisturizer - review + photos

© Tuesday T. Bryan Photography
DO NOT USE IMAGES WITHOUT PERMISSION.
Copyrighted material
My most recent foundation purchase is Stila Sheer Color Tinted Moistuizer, or "Sheer Colour Tinted Moisturiser" if you're British like me. ;) I was going to go for a BB or CC cream, but as they're also basically just tinted moisturisers I decided to give this product a go.

Since my purchase, "Stila's iconic tinted moisturizer got a makeover!". I'm reviewing the original, but I'll link you to the new one as it's the same but better! I'll make a few comparisons between the original and the updated versions as I go along. :)


It's available in 9 shades, and I've got the lightest one to suit my fair skin (originally the lightest shade was called "Ivory", but the updated shade is called "Bare"). 
It comes in a 50ml bottle and a little goes a long way, so you get plenty of bang for your buck.

Stila say... "It's more than just makeup; it's sheer luminous color infused with light-diffusing pigments to help diminish the look of fine lines and wrinkles..." - stilacosmetics.com

Here's one thing us ladies should all agree on; In the hot summer months you should swap your daytime foundation for something lighter i.e. a lightweight foundation, or a tinted moisturiser, or a "BB" or "CC" cream. This one has the added benefit of containing SPF15 (the updated one has SPF20). I found it easy to apply with my Mac and Bobbi Brown foundation brushes or a foundation sponge, but I simply apply it with clean hands as it's easier to blend and the moisturiser is absorbed faster. The updated version is also water-proof, so it's even more suited to the summertime!


© Tuesday T. Bryan Photography
DO NOT USE IMAGES WITHOUT PERMISSION.
Copyrighted material
Firstly, let's talk coverage. I'm a natural red head, so I have very fair skin and lots of freckles. I like my freckles to be visible, but I can't stand imperfections! For this reason I tend to opt for a medium coverage foundation, but in the heat I need something lighter with added benefits - that's where this tinted moisturizer comes in. ;)
The consistency of this product seems fairly thick at first, but when applied the moisture is absorbed leaving a weightless sheer coverage (a little concealer may be required due to the light coverage). The sheer coverage allows your closest-matching shade to adapt and blend seamlessly with your natural skin tone, giving a totally natural-looking finish. It also doesn't cake or clog your pores like some thicker products do.

Image - right-above: A "swatch photos" of my chosen shade.
Image - right-below: Photos comparing my skin before and after using
© Tuesday T. Bryan Photography
DO NOT USE IMAGES WITHOUT PERMISSION.
Copyrighted material
this product (I know the photos have a slightly different tone, I took them in different lighting - sorry!).


It also evens out the skin tone. I'm lucky to have an almost completely even complexion naturally, but I still noticed the difference whilst wearing this product. It "blurs" pores and imperfections to help perfect the complexion, a bit like a primer does, and it also gives the skin a healthy radiant glow (see image - right). It's also meant to diminish the look of fine lines and wrinkles, but luckily I don't have any, so I can't comment. ;)

It's long-wearing, too. Both the moisture and the colour lasts for hours, so you're base will last all day as well as keeping your feeling skin hydrated and looking healthy.
Now onto something I feel very strongly about! This product contains an SPF (Sun Protection Factor). It's always a bonus when a product contains an SPF, but remember never to rely on the sunscreen in your makeup and facial cream alone for sun protection, you should always wear sunscreen, too! We are also advised to wear sunscreen all year round, not just in the summer months, as harmful UV rays are present in all seasons. To read more about Ultraviolet Radiation use these helpful links:
http://www.skincancer.org/prevention/uva-and-uvb/shining-light-on-ultraviolet-radiation
http://www.uv-damage.org/en/sunlight-effects-skin/0/default.html
Although the moisturiser and SPF are defiantly advantages, they do not allow the product to give a matte finish, so you'll have to apply a powder on top. You don't need a lot, a dusting of loose mineral powder does the trick. :)
I found it takes a while for the moisturiser and SPF to be fully absorbed by my combination skin, but you probably won't have this issue if you have dry skin. I advise you apply it after applying sunscreen and your daily moisturiser (or you could use it instead of your moisturiser), then go and have a coffee or something while you're letting your skin take it in - try to let it absorb fully before applying more makeup! Of course, if wearing this product alone you won't need to worry about absorption time at all! :)
Consider your skin type before purchasing, as moisture levels present in your skin will effect absorption time - if you have dry skin it should absorb almost instantly, however if you have oily skin this issue will most likely be amplified!

Here's another thing you should take note of. Whenever I use this product, any make up applied to my eyelids on top of it creases over the day...very annoying! A good quality primer helps with this issue, but an eyeshadow primer does the trick perfectly. Check out my review of Avon's primers (click here), which includes information on their eyeshadow primer, too!

Well, I've listed as many pros, cons, and ways to beat the cons as I can. I hope you've found my review helpful, and remember to stay safe in the sun. ;)

Click here to purchase Stila Sheer Color Tinted Moisturizer from stilacosmetics.com.

© Tuesday T. Bryan Photography
DO NOT USE IMAGES WITHOUT PERMISSION. Copyrighted material


By Tuesday T. Bryan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recommended for you: